17 Nigerian nationals and one Ugandan were arrested on Sunday night, in connection with the attack on police personnel by a group of African men, while on duty at the Flora Damansara apartment in Petaling Jaya, Kuala Lumpur, last Thursday.
Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador said the men were detained to facilitate investigation into the incident. In the incident, Four policemen from the Commercial Crime Investigation Department, Petaling Jaya district police headquarters (IPD) were attacked while trying to arrest a Nigerian man suspected of being involved in fraudulent activities.
According to local media, the four police personnel who received information about a suspect in a cheating case conducted the raid at the location at 10.50pm.
“They observed the unit for a few minutes before they saw some movement inside the house. They knocked on the door and called for the occupants for a few minutes but there was no answer before they charged in,” Checks found three African women and two African men in the house. “The policemen showed their ID and introduced themselves as cops before asking the Africans for their identification documents.
However, they refused to oblige and acted aggressively towards the police. When the police tried to calm the situation, a group of African men showed up at the house and screamed at the police to leave,”
The group then became more aggressive and started throwing bottles, sticks and shoes at the policemen. “During the tense moment, three of the policemen were pulled out while another one was pushed inside the house.
The five suspects in the house took the advantage to escape during the scuffle. When one of the policemen tried to apprehend one of the suspects, he was hit with a desk drawer, stepped on and punched in the face.”
Another police officer then called for backup before eight policemen arrived at 12.01am, causing all the Africans to flee. The injured policeman was taken to University of Malaya Medical Centre for treatment. Some policemen were also missing their wallets, mobile phones and motorcycle keys during the incident. Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador confirmed that so far 18 people have been detained to assist investigations into the incident which was described as a violent and irresponsible act.
“The attack is unacceptable and we will not tolerate such violence. Our investigation is not focused on just one nationality,“ he told a press conference after launching the Autisme.
The incident also caught the attention of Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, who in condemning the incident said the government would not compromise with anyone who violates the law or obstructs the police in performing their duties.
“I have instructed for a full investigation on those involved and for stern action to be taken as provided by the law. I would like to emphasise that foreigners who come to this country must behave accordingly and abide by the rules of this country,“ he said in a statement on Monday. Meanwhile, Selangor Criminal Investigation Department chief Fadzil Amat said police would apply for a remand order on the eight Nigerian men at the Petaling Jaya Court today.
“We will also request for an extension of the remand order for the 10 Nigerian men who were arrested on the night of the incident,“ he said.
Tribunal Affirms Ihedioha’s Election As Imo Governor
The Imo State Election Tribunal has affirmed the election of Emeka Ihedioha as governor of the state.
The chairman of the tribunal, Justice Umar Dogondaji, in his ruling on Saturday, dismissed the petition of Senator Hope Uzodinma because he did not discharge the burden of proof of the allegation that his results were excluded from the final results of the election.
He also dismissed the petition of the All Progressives Grand Alliance and its governorship candidate Senator Ifeanyi Arareume for lacking in merit as well as that of the candidate of the Action Alliance Party, Mr. Uche Nwosu, for incompetence.
The witnesses were discredited under cross-examination.
They all confirmed that there was no signature of the presiding officers on the documents they tendered as the results of the election in the various units in the state.
The judgment was delivered at the FCT High Court in Jabi, Abuja after a briefing in Owerri, the Imo State capital, where it had received and entertained several petitions.
The governorship candidates of the Action Alliance, All Progressives Congress, (APC) and All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), had filed petitions at the tribunal asking it to nullify the election of Ihedioha of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on the ground that he was unlawfully declared as the governor of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
Ten Wedding Guests Died In Ekiti Road Crash
An accident involving wedding guest in Ekiti has occurred along Ado-Ikere road of the state which left many dead and several injured
At least 10 wedding guests have died in a motor accident on the Ikere-Ado Road in Ekiti State.
Several others also sustained injuries in the accident.
The accident involved an 18 seater bus with registration number Ekiti LG 05 MUE.
Eyewitnesses confirmed that the victims were returning from a wedding reception when the tragedy occured.
One witness, Abiodun, told Dammylink that the driver lost control of the vehicle’s wheel.
He said, “The vehicle was speeding and summasulted several times immediately the driver lost control of the wheel.
“I counted at least 10 bodies on the road before the arrival of officials of Federal Road Safety Corps.
Government Grants Amnesty To 13 Armed Bandits
Niger State Government has granted amnesty to 13 suspected armed bandits that were arrested by security operatives along Kontonkoro axis in Magama Local Government Area of the state.
Gov. Abubakar Bello disclosed this while delivering a keynote address at the 2nd General Abdulsalami Abubakar Foundation Annual Peace Lecture on Saturday in Minna.
He said the bandits were released based on the dialogue and peace deal as well as agreement reached by the government and the bandits from the area in August.
The governor said the peace accord reached had led to a gradual reduction in activities of armed bandits
and kidnappings in the area.
“After hearing them on why they decided to engage themselves in such activities, we had to go into a peace agreement with them in the interest of peace and for them to help us with useful information to tackle spate of insecurity in the state,” he said.
The governor noted that they have been cooperating and helping security agencies with useful information on how to identify unrepentant bandits who were still terrorising the state.
He said the repentant suspects have been engaged into various trade and skill acquisition programmes, adding that the same approach would be applied with bandits in Pandogari, Allawa and Erena areas of the state, NAN reports.
News1 week ago
Grace Mugabe Cries To Obasanjo During Mugabe Funeral[PHOTOS]
News6 days ago
South Africans Stage Demonstration To Beg Nigerians For Forgiveness Over Xenophobic Attacks [VIDEO]
News1 week ago
BREAKING: Former Buhari’s Minister Decamps To PDP
News1 week ago
BREAKING: APC Loses Another 2 Reps At Tribunal To PDP
Metro1 week ago
Another Lady Murdered In Hotel With White Handkerchief Tied On Her Leg [PHOTOS]
News6 days ago
Presidential Tribunal: 3 Reasons Atiku’ll Win At Supreme Court – Lawyers
News2 days ago
Southwest Traditional Rulers Move To Save Osinbajo From Impeachment
News1 week ago
BREAKING: Abba Kyari Arrests Another Notorious Kidnap Kingpin, Yellow