Juventus superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo, was conspicuously missing from the list of nominees for the 2019 Puskas Award, with goals by Barcelona icon Lionel Messi and former Manchester United striker, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, among the top 10 nominations.
Ronaldo had scored a sensational volley against former club, Manchester United, in the UEFA Champions League last season, but it was not good enough to get him a place in the final 10 list of goals in contention for the coveted Puskas Award.
The 34-year-old Portugal international previously won the award in 2009 for his long range strike for Manchester United in a 1-0 win over FC Porto in the Champions League.
Messi on his part has made the list thanks to his audacious lob from just inside the box in a La Liga match against Real Betis, with the Argentina international ending the game with a hat-trick.
Meanwhile, Ibrahimovic has been nominated for his 500th career goal scored in acrobatic fashion against Toronto in a Major League Soccer (MLS) match in September 2018. The goal scored for LA Galaxy in a 5-3 win saw the Swede join Ronaldo and Messi as the only active football stars to reach the 500-goal milestone.
Other goals nominated for the award include Ajara Nchout’s solo effort for Cameroon against New Zealand at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup, and Andros Townsend’s powerful volley in Crystal Palace’s 4-3 win over Manchester City in the Premier League last season.
All the goals up for consideration were scored between 16 July 2018 to 19 July 2019 inclusive and chosen by a panel of FIFA and external football experts,” wrote FIFA in a statement on its website.
The world football governing added that the top three goals from the 10 nominees would be decided by public vote which will close September 1, 2019, with the award winner to be decided by a vote among FIFA Legends.
Tribunal Affirms Ihedioha’s Election As Imo Governor
The Imo State Election Tribunal has affirmed the election of Emeka Ihedioha as governor of the state.
The chairman of the tribunal, Justice Umar Dogondaji, in his ruling on Saturday, dismissed the petition of Senator Hope Uzodinma because he did not discharge the burden of proof of the allegation that his results were excluded from the final results of the election.
He also dismissed the petition of the All Progressives Grand Alliance and its governorship candidate Senator Ifeanyi Arareume for lacking in merit as well as that of the candidate of the Action Alliance Party, Mr. Uche Nwosu, for incompetence.
The witnesses were discredited under cross-examination.
They all confirmed that there was no signature of the presiding officers on the documents they tendered as the results of the election in the various units in the state.
The judgment was delivered at the FCT High Court in Jabi, Abuja after a briefing in Owerri, the Imo State capital, where it had received and entertained several petitions.
The governorship candidates of the Action Alliance, All Progressives Congress, (APC) and All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), had filed petitions at the tribunal asking it to nullify the election of Ihedioha of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on the ground that he was unlawfully declared as the governor of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
Ten Wedding Guests Died In Ekiti Road Crash
An accident involving wedding guest in Ekiti has occurred along Ado-Ikere road of the state which left many dead and several injured
At least 10 wedding guests have died in a motor accident on the Ikere-Ado Road in Ekiti State.
Several others also sustained injuries in the accident.
The accident involved an 18 seater bus with registration number Ekiti LG 05 MUE.
Eyewitnesses confirmed that the victims were returning from a wedding reception when the tragedy occured.
One witness, Abiodun, told Dammylink that the driver lost control of the vehicle’s wheel.
He said, “The vehicle was speeding and summasulted several times immediately the driver lost control of the wheel.
“I counted at least 10 bodies on the road before the arrival of officials of Federal Road Safety Corps.
Government Grants Amnesty To 13 Armed Bandits
Niger State Government has granted amnesty to 13 suspected armed bandits that were arrested by security operatives along Kontonkoro axis in Magama Local Government Area of the state.
Gov. Abubakar Bello disclosed this while delivering a keynote address at the 2nd General Abdulsalami Abubakar Foundation Annual Peace Lecture on Saturday in Minna.
He said the bandits were released based on the dialogue and peace deal as well as agreement reached by the government and the bandits from the area in August.
The governor said the peace accord reached had led to a gradual reduction in activities of armed bandits
and kidnappings in the area.
“After hearing them on why they decided to engage themselves in such activities, we had to go into a peace agreement with them in the interest of peace and for them to help us with useful information to tackle spate of insecurity in the state,” he said.
The governor noted that they have been cooperating and helping security agencies with useful information on how to identify unrepentant bandits who were still terrorising the state.
He said the repentant suspects have been engaged into various trade and skill acquisition programmes, adding that the same approach would be applied with bandits in Pandogari, Allawa and Erena areas of the state, NAN reports.
News1 week ago
Grace Mugabe Cries To Obasanjo During Mugabe Funeral[PHOTOS]
News6 days ago
South Africans Stage Demonstration To Beg Nigerians For Forgiveness Over Xenophobic Attacks [VIDEO]
News1 week ago
BREAKING: Former Buhari’s Minister Decamps To PDP
News1 week ago
BREAKING: APC Loses Another 2 Reps At Tribunal To PDP
Metro1 week ago
Another Lady Murdered In Hotel With White Handkerchief Tied On Her Leg [PHOTOS]
News6 days ago
Presidential Tribunal: 3 Reasons Atiku’ll Win At Supreme Court – Lawyers
News2 days ago
Southwest Traditional Rulers Move To Save Osinbajo From Impeachment
News1 week ago
BREAKING: Abba Kyari Arrests Another Notorious Kidnap Kingpin, Yellow