Cuban Government Blames Twitter For Unrest

3 months ago Dammylink 0

Unprecedented anti-government protests broke out in Cuba on July 11, which the single-party state leadership blames on a Twitter campaign orchestrated by the United States.

 

But experts say that view is at best an exaggeration.

 

“I have irrefutable proof that the majority of those that took part in this (internet) campaign were in the United States and used automated systems to make content go viral, without being penalized by Twitter,” Cuba’s Foreign Affairs Minister Bruno Rodriguez said Tuesday.

 

Rodriguez had already denied that the island nation experienced a “social explosion” when thousands of people took to the streets chanting “Freedom!” and “Down with the dictatorship!”

The minister called it a “communication and information war against Cuba.”

 

So who is to blame? Authorities point to the hashtag #SOSCuba, launched in early July to highlight Cuba’s healthcare crisis, the spike in Covid-19 cases, and to plead for foreign humanitarian aid.

 

Spanish social media expert Julian Macias Tovar, who was invited to speak on Cuban state television on Tuesday, says there is something strange in the figures around the hashtag.

 

“Between July 5, when the #SOSCuba hashtag was first used, and the eighth, there were just 5,000 tweets,” Macias Tovar told AFP.

 

It then exploded exponentially, he said, with 100,000 tweets on July 9, 500,00 on the 10th, 1.5 million the next day and two million on the 12th.

Facebook Comments Box