Connect with us

News

Xenophobia: Buhari Govt Has Plans For Nigerians Returning From South Africa – Abike Dabiri

Published

on

The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has given an assurance that the government would support Nigerians who are being evacuated back to the country from South Africa in the wake of xenophobic attacks.

A first batch of returnees numbering about 188, had departed South Africa on Wednesday, via the Air Peace Airline after an eight-hour delay.

According to Channels TV’s correspondent in South Africa, some persons had been turned back over inadequate documentation for travelling with children, while about seven others were detained for allegedly entering the country illegally.

Mrs Dabiri who also confirmed that the delay was as a result of immigration issues, however, noted that the situation had been resolved and the first batch was on their way.

According to her, immediately they arrive, they would each be given sim cards and airtime that would last almost two months to help them stay in touch with their families.

The bank of industry will also be here to offer some entrepreneurship programme and some support to start a small business and there would be some stipends for transportation to take you home and we will profile them and for those who want to get any training, they will decide what kind of training they want to do and the Bank of industry will be there to provide it,” Dabiri said.

More names remain on the voluntary evacuation list and hopefully, a second flight will be arriving in Johannesburg to fetch them.

Facebook Comments

News

Tribunal Affirms Ihedioha’s Election As Imo Governor

Published

on

By

The Imo State Election Tribunal has affirmed the election of Emeka Ihedioha as governor of the state.

The chairman of the tribunal, Justice Umar Dogondaji, in his ruling on Saturday, dismissed the petition of Senator Hope Uzodinma because he did not discharge the burden of proof of the allegation that his results were excluded from the final results of the election.

He also dismissed the petition of the All Progressives Grand Alliance and its governorship candidate Senator Ifeanyi Arareume for lacking in merit as well as that of the candidate of the Action Alliance Party, Mr. Uche Nwosu, for incompetence.

The witnesses were discredited under cross-examination.

They all confirmed that there was no signature of the presiding officers on the documents they tendered as the results of the election in the various units in the state.

The judgment was delivered at the FCT High Court in Jabi, Abuja after a briefing in Owerri, the Imo State capital, where it had received and entertained several petitions.

The governorship candidates of the Action Alliance, All Progressives Congress, (APC) and All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), had filed petitions at the tribunal asking it to nullify the election of Ihedioha of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on the ground that he was unlawfully declared as the governor of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Metro

Ten Wedding Guests Died In Ekiti Road Crash

Published

on

wedding

An accident involving wedding guest in Ekiti has occurred along Ado-Ikere road of the state which left many dead and several injured

At least 10 wedding guests have died in a motor accident on the Ikere-Ado Road in Ekiti State.

Several others also sustained injuries in the accident. 
The accident involved an 18 seater bus with registration number Ekiti LG 05 MUE.

Eyewitnesses confirmed that the victims were returning from a wedding reception when the tragedy occured.

One witness, Abiodun, told Dammylink that the driver lost control of the vehicle’s wheel. 

He said, “The vehicle was speeding and summasulted several times immediately the driver lost control of the wheel. 

“I counted at least 10 bodies on the road before the arrival of officials of Federal Road Safety Corps.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Government Grants Amnesty To 13 Armed Bandits

Published

on

gunmen

Niger State Government has granted amnesty to 13 suspected armed bandits that were arrested by security operatives along Kontonkoro axis in Magama Local Government Area of the state.

Gov. Abubakar Bello disclosed this while delivering a keynote address at the 2nd General Abdulsalami Abubakar Foundation Annual Peace Lecture on Saturday in Minna.

He said the bandits were released based on the dialogue and peace deal as well as agreement reached by the government and the bandits from the area in August.

The governor said the peace accord reached had led to a gradual reduction in activities of armed bandits
and kidnappings in the area.

“After hearing them on why they decided to engage themselves in such activities, we had to go into a peace agreement with them in the interest of peace and for them to help us with useful information to tackle spate of insecurity in the state,” he said.

The governor noted that they have been cooperating and helping security agencies with useful information on how to identify unrepentant bandits who were still terrorising the state.

He said the repentant suspects have been engaged into various trade and skill acquisition programmes, adding that the same approach would be applied with bandits in Pandogari, Allawa and Erena areas of the state, NAN reports.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending